She made Avocado Brownies and... they were GOOD?!

I am constantly on the hunt for delicious healthy food. I want the food I make for myself, and my family to not only taste good, but to also fuel our bodies. There is nothing like eating 1000 calories of crap and feeling lethargic afterwards.

Look at this cute little baker!
My love for cooking and baking (and eating!) came about in early childhood. This is probably why my Mom made be bike to school for a good 2 years! Some of my favourite childhood memories are involving baking pancakes in the morning, learning how to make Ukrainian perogies and mastering the ultimate banana cream pie. All traditional recipes I am actively working at passing onto my kiddo!

Because I love food, it can get me into trouble when it comes to my waist line. If I’m not working out 5 days a week or marathon training, I’m hooped! In my life, small healthy changes make all the difference.

The Avocado Brownies intrigued me because I am a mega chocolate lover. At first, I was skeptical because... well... could another brownie really be as good as the original real deal? But As I mentioned before, small heathy changes make a big difference! 


Enough said! I decided to try them.

I ended up playing with a couple of recipes and came up with the one below in the end. Admittedly the vegan version is not as good / fudgy because it does not use eggs (which is basically liquid fat) but there is an option that is still really quite good and gets the rise (height/fluffiness) out of the brownie.

These little squares of chocolate are such incredible, body smart treats. I'm in love!

HOW TO MAKE THEM:

Ingredients 
·       2 avocados (Make sure they are nice and ripe and squishy!)
·       1/2 cup pure maple syrup
·       ¼ honey or Substitute for ¼ cup white sugar.
·       2 large eggs (Vegan? Mix 2 TSP of baking soda and tsp of vinegar)
·       2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
·       1/2 teaspoon baking soda
·       1/2 cup whole wheat flour
·       1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
·       1/2 teaspoon salt or pinch of sea salt
·       1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or cacao nibs
Instructions
1.     Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set aside a lightly greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
2.     In a food processor (you HAVE to use the food processor!), add the avocado, maple syrup, and honey or sugar. Blend well. Then add the eggs (or egg substitute) and vanilla extract. Mix well so that all of the ingredients are blended.
3.     In another bowl, gently add in the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa and mix- But don’t over mix!
4.     Mix in the contents of the food processor and the other bowl (wet and dry ingredients) Add nibs or chocolate chips.
5.     Spread the batter into a  pan evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done. 

Enjoy these heathy choice treats AKA drops of heaven and feel free to share!

Thanks for reading 
- Steph XX



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She's a blogger now?

She fell in Love with an Aussie? and... has a "Modern Family?"

She had an ectopic pregnancy?